Monday, October 19, 2015

Cassie's Story - Letters To Myself

As promised, here is the next episode of Cassie's story, with things coming to a head between her and Matt.

If you are interested in reading Cassie's book, Letters To Myself - if you haven't already - it is currently on promotion at Amazon, for free for five days so now is the time to go get a copy! Just follow the link at the end of this story. If it's not free try again the next day since you may be in a time zone ahead of Amazon.

Dear me, here I am back worrying about Matt. Should I be giving so much thought to such a casual kiss? Should I be giving so much thought to Matt at all, or any man for that matter? I like my life now, I like the peace and the calm. I don’t know if I want to change everything again anyway, and moving onto the next step with Matt will change things. I don’t know if I’m ready for that, or if I will ever be. What if I can never again trust anyone enough, or trust myself enough, to be able to have a deep connection with anyone – with Matt. So what is my problem, is it me, Matt, the thought of a closer relationship, the thought of opening myself up to hurt again – what is tying me in knots?

Dear you, I think you are well on the way to answering your own question. What is your problem? Well of course it’s lots of things, not just one. Opening up to Matt and entering into a deeper relationship with him means dropping all the walls you have built up to protect yourself. Starting a relationship with Matt means potentially losing his friendship if it doesn’t work, or if it works out, losing your independence. At least you feel that you will lose your independence because that is what happened with Nathan. You and I (we, me) know that not all relationships are like that, but you are worried because you were in a destructive marriage for a long time, and you are anxious that you will slip back into old patterns with Matt.
So look at yourself, look at how far you have come. And, look at Matt. He’s been there for you this whole time. He’s never pushed you, never made you feel anxious or afraid. You’re afraid of losing yourself, that’s understandable. But – perhaps Matt knows that too. Perhaps he understands you better than you realise. Maybe, just maybe, Matt is the safest person in this world to trust with your heart. And maybe, if you let yourself take this first step, maybe you will find out that it won’t be change as you’ve become used to it. Maybe it will simply be the life you have now, but better.

I sipped my glass of wine and read through my letter again. I didn’t feel that I had clarified anything much at all, except that I was a coward. I shrugged, and put the notebook to one side. I would look at it again tomorrow. Tonight I was going to watch some television and relax. It was Friday night, Mark was visiting a friend for the night and I had the house to myself.

I could still smell the enticing aroma of the meal I had prepared earlier for Andrew and Bev. I had found a new recipe that I thought they might like, and hoped that it would stimulate Bev’s failing appetite. A wave of sadness swept over me as I thought about Bev. She was fading, it was clear to us all. She still wasn’t in much pain which was a blessing, but there was a fragility to her that was impossible to ignore. My heart ached for Andrew, even though he seemed to be handling the slow progress towards the inevitable better than I was.

A knock on the door lifted me out of my thoughts. I wasn’t expecting anyone and my first instinct was still to shrink back in my seat in case it was Nathan. It wasn’t of course, it was Matt who came in without waiting for me to answer. He raised one eyebrow when he saw me cowering on the lounge but said nothing. Instead he gestured to the wine glass in my hand with the bottle in his own.

“Great minds I see.”

“This is the last of my wine so you and your fresh bottle are welcome!”

Matt gestured towards me again with the bottle before heading back into the kitchen. I took it to mean he was opening the bottle and getting himself a glass and settled back in my seat, relaxed now instead of anxious. I wondered briefly how long it would be before I stopped anticipating Nathan coming through my door, but, as with the letter I had written, relegated it to the back of my mind.

Coming back into the room Matt seated himself beside me on the lounge and refilled my glass before filling his and setting the bottle on the side table.

“Are you sure you should be drinking though?”

I paused, the glass halfway to my mouth. “Because of the knock on the head you mean?”

He nodded. “Did they tell you not to drink?”

“Well yes, but only for the first few days. The doctor told me that if the headache continued to lessen that I could have a glass or two, but not to drink to excess.”

“And this is your second glass?”

I nodded. Without saying another word Matt got up and took the wine bottle back into the kitchen. Coming back he picked up his glass. “Then this is all we will have tonight, until you get the all clear at your appointment.”

I smiled at him, he really was a kind and considerate man.

“Have you eaten? I’ve got loads of food still in the fridge if you want something. Or there’s some pistachios too if you just want a snack.” I knew pistachio nuts were Matt’s favourite so kept a supply in the pantry.

“A snack sounds good, I’ll be right back.”

I sipped my wine, contemplating what to watch. Matt often dropped in on a Friday night to share some wine and watch a movie if he wasn’t working a night shift. I had planned on my favourite, The Princess Bride, but wasn’t sure that Matt would enjoy that. I started flicking through the multitude of pay television channels.

“What’s on? I brought some nachos too, the extra cheesy ones.”

Matt pulled the coffee table closer and set down two bowls of snacks. I smiled my appreciation at him, everyone knew how much I love those nachos, especially when I’m watching a movie.

“Well I was just flicking through to see.”

“What were you planning on watching?”

“The Princess Bride, but I figure it’s not got enough action for you.”

He snorted in derision. “Like you know anything. I like that movie, it’s funny. Let’s watch that one.”

I had a brief internal debate with myself. I was pretty sure he was just indulging me, but then if he really didn’t like it we could change the channel. I put it on and we both settled back to watch it.




“So ok, you do really like this movie.”

Matt had not only laughed in all the right places, he had also quoted the most memorable lines. He definitely had watched this movie more than once.

“I told you that, did you think I was just being polite?”

“I guess so. It’s not really a man’s movie is it?”

“Why not? It’s got humour, action, a hero, a heroine, and true love. What’s not to like?”

“Why don’t you have a girlfriend?” The words were out before I could stop them and I slapped my hands over my mouth in a futile attempt to call them back.

Matt gave me one of his trademark level gazes, the one that always made me squirm.

“You really have to ask me that?”

I floundered, I wasn’t ready for this conversation, I really wasn’t.

“I mean, you haven’t had a girlfriend the whole time I’ve known you.”

“You’re wondering if there is something wrong with me?”

“No! Of course not. I was just curious. I don’t know much about you really, not about your past life anyway.”

Matt turned towards me, his posture open and comfortable. “Ask away, what do you want to know?”

I stared at him, wondering what had possessed me to start this conversation.

“Well, um, have you ever been married?”

“No, I had a live in girlfriend once but it didn’t work out. She couldn’t handle the shift work I do in my job, and she couldn’t cope with the potential danger.”

“Oh, I see. How long ago was that?”

“It was about a year before I met you. And no, there’s been no-one since I met you. I think you know why Cassie.”


Well that escalated quickly.  





No comments:

Post a Comment