Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Day what is it lost count already... day four. Look for the beauty around you

Day four, and today I’m following on in a roundabout kind of way from yesterday. Where do you live in the world? Bear with me, I have a point. Do you live somewhere famous for its beauty or well known for its buildings? Is it historically important or in a lovely part of the country? And if so, when was the last time you truly looked at it?

We are all guilty of this of course. No matter how magnificent the view it becomes commonplace after a while and we no longer see it. I was musing on this in the shower last night – and believe me with my dearth of water pressure and indeed even a decent shower head (hand held in my place) musing does not happen frequently in the shower! Well apart from prosaic imaginings of water pressure and a shower head attached to the wall.

I was thinking about the people born and brought up in a place that is on the bucket list of most. Do they appreciate what they see every day? I’m thinking not, because what you are brought up with is your reality and not your dream. I was brought up in a tiny country town in South East Queensland. It’s a wee little town in a valley, surrounded by rainforest. It’s beautiful and I took that beauty for granted, didn’t even see it. I saw only the time it took to get anywhere.

I spent a lot of years in Mackay, living in some lovely places. My last home there was right next to an area called The Gooseponds, a serene and lovely parkland full of bird life (not just the geese although they are there in numbers also) and while I did love it and I loved to be able to walk there whenever I wished, I didn’t really appreciate the beauty of it. Mackay is on the coast so I could go to any one of a number of beaches and walk for an hour without seeing more than a few people, and on many days none at all. Of course you couldn’t swim there – stingers – but the scenery would soothe the most tortured soul (trust me on that one).

Still, I didn’t truly appreciate the freedom I had. I could go into my own back garden whenever I wanted, I had my own little patch of grass and I could sit outside with my cheese, biscuits and wine - accompanied by a dog who REALLY appreciated these events – and sit in the short northern dusk listening to all the birds and bats going home to roost.

Those are small things, but I don’t have them any more. I can’t just go to the beach and walk for miles, I don’t have a garden because now I live in an apartment. When I first came here I suffered from claustrophobia and depression, struggling to adjust to the loss of a freedom I didn’t recognize. There are benefits of course. The major one is that I no longer have to fight on a weekly basis with a misogynist lawn mower (refused to start for me, started every time for my ex causing him to look at me with total disgust) and I count that blessing regularly. I am up high on the fifth floor and I get a lovely view of the sea and the benefit of the sea breezes. I don’t need a car because I can walk to wherever I need to go, or take one of the frequent taxis – always an adventure in this part of the world.

But, that was all a complete digression. My thinking last night was more about the people who live in places like Rome, Paris, Cambridge, Santorini. Are they the luckiest people in the world to live there or not? Does living your whole life with easy access to a place like the Colosseum or The Louvre diminish its glory for you? I remember watching a group of school children on a trip to The Louvre. I stared at them, wondering what it would be like to have a regular school trip to a place like that. But as I watched I realized that for them there was no magic. They had seen the Venus de Milo plenty of times, they already knew how much smaller the Mona Lisa is in real life. For them it was a far more prosaic place than it was for me.

I have been very lucky to have seen some wonderful sights in my travels and I stared at each one in awe, trying to memorise every single aspect in case I never got back. Sometimes I think Australians make the most appreciative of tourists (those that travel to see such things I mean, not the Ugly Australian abroad) because for us it means such a huge financial commitment and many hours of travel. We come from the very bottom of the world, separated geographically by such vast distances that it is lucky really our country is so big. We speak of travel in hours not in kilometres. How far is it? About three hours. Oh not so bad then. So we are less daunted by the prospect of a 22 or 24 hour flight. We may however pass out in shock at the cost of that flight. But I digress again.

I think we all take the beauty of our own part of the world for granted. Those children in The Louvre, the people of Salisbury who drive past Stonehenge every day, residents of Cambridge who don’t even notice Kings College Chapel, it’s all just the backdrop of their lives. There is beauty everywhere if you look for it. Perhaps we should all take time every once in a while to appreciate what makes our own place special. Maybe you live in Paris (I have readers in France can you believe?) or Florence – Galleria del’Accademia which houses the statue of David and that’s just for starters – or maybe you live somewhere that is not famous. Well my little home town is not famous but it is beautiful. And I bet there is beauty in your area that you haven’t looked at or considered for ages.


The point I think I am trying to make in my usual long winded and winding way, is that there is magic everywhere and often we don’t recognize it until we lose it. So don’t wait to lose it, appreciate where you live, search out the beauty and take the time to really look at it. Take the time to smell the roses but expand that. Take the time to appreciate all the beauty around you, be it a magnificent cathedral or a peaceful lake or a flower in a pot on your balcony. Look at your part of the world like a tourist and never lose sight of how special it is. 


This is at Boloumba Creek at Kenilworth, my home town

My favourite beach at Mackay

The Gooseponds

Kings College Chapel


I can see the sunrise from my balcony here

And the sunset

2 comments:

  1. Sheryl, I enjoy your rambling writing! Thank you for sharing pictures of your beautiful country. I live in Cedarburg, WI, USA, a quaint, historic town loved by the thousands of tourists who frequent its streets every year. When I first moved here, I avoided the main street because I didn't want it to become familiar or commonplace; I wanted to remain a tourist in my own town. Now, I travel that street almost daily, usually complaining along the way about the ridiculously slow drivers. And yet, when I slow down, I realize once again the charm and beauty of my little town, enjoying the old buildings and the natural scenery. I am so thankful to live someplace safe and neighborly for my children's sake. We are truly blessed to live here; I sometimes feel guilty for all that we have (and we are among the poorest in our wealthy community), considering those around the world who live in abject poverty, war torn lands, refugee camps, or overcrowded, smoggy cities. Thanks for the reminder to take that closer look and to be thankful everyday for where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee thank you for such a beautifully written reply. Your little town sounds wonderful, you are lucky to have found it and to love living there. Thank you again, I appreciate your comments

      Delete